The NMSDC (National Minority Supplier Development Council, Inc.), headquartered in New York City, is an organization comprised of a network of 37 affiliate regional councils across the country (including SCMSDC), all of whom provide minority business certification and business development opportunities.
The NMSDC believes that they provide a direct link between corporate America and minority-owned business America. However, in order to directly link up you must first take a certification detour, and pay money to get directly linked. Once the money is paid and the certification complete you can then possibly meet “corporate America” representatives. All the while, white-owned businesses across the country can freely link with NMSDC corporate members.
NMSDC has over 3,500 corporate members and more than 15,000 certified minority owned businesses in its network. For more than forty years the NMSDC has been served as one of the largest bottleneck for the growth of minority business in America.
For example, the extensive process for proving that you are limited in your accesss to market your company you are encouraged to go thrugh the instruction given below.
Beginning January 1, 2014, as mandated by the National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC), ALL affiliated regional councils will have the same certification fee structure and reciprocal certifications have been eliminated. MBE Certification Applications and Recertification Applications received after December 31, 2013 will be processed at the new certification fee as follows:
|Fee Category By Annual Revenue||Class I||Class II||Class III||Class IV|
|($ in millions)||<$1m||$1-9.9m||$10-49.9m||$50m+|
|Expedited New Certification (added to initial certification fee)||$350||$350||$350||$350|
|Recertification Late Fee (after 30 days of expiration)||$100||$100||$100||$100|
|Expedited Recertification (added to initial recertification fee)||$75||$75||$75||$75|
*Note that if the Recertification application has been expired 30+ days and requires an expedition, the total additional fee will be $175 to be added to the initial recertification fee.
- Prior to December 31, 2013, all new and renewal applications were processed at the following rates:
- New Application (valid for 1 year): $350 (credit card payment only)
- Recertification (yearly): $225 (credit card payment only)
- Expedited Certification: $150 + round trip mileage from our office to yours (less than 25 miles = $30, 26 – 49 miles = $60, over 50 miles = $100) – Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Recertification late fee after 30 days of expiration: $100
- New certification application required after 60 days of expiration
PROCESS (FOR FIRST TIME APPLICANT)
Upon receipt of your completed Certification Application package, initial review may take up to 45 business days to complete. *Missing and/or submitted documents will delay the process further.
Step 1: Eligibility requirements for SCMSDC certification:
- Your company must be 51% owned, managed, operated and controlled by an ethnic minority owner or group of ethnic minority owners.
- The minority owners who make up at least 51% ownership must be U.S. Citizens.
- The highest titled position in the business (i.e. President, CEO, Chairman, etc.) must be held by a minority owner.
- Ability to submit all required business documentation for your company
- The business must be headquartered in Southern California (excluding San Diego County).
Step 2: Review online application questions in advance and prepare answers.
Step 3: Gather/prepare required documents based on business entity needed to complete online Certification Application. View the checklists below or click here to download the checklist.
Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)
Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
Step 4: Login to the Online Certification Portal. In order to start the application process, you must request a login. Once you have a login and password, complete the online application and submit your payment.
Step 5: Print and the mail certification application and any supporting documents to our office. Note: You will be notified via automated email once the application is received and/or whether additional information is needed to complete processing.
Step 6: Initial review of certification application package by the certification team. The application can only be processed when all requested documents and required information is received.
Step 7: Once it has been verified that all required documents have been received and the application is complete, our Field Auditor will contact you to schedule an onsite visit.
Step 8: Your completed application is forwarded to the Board Certification Committee for final review and approval
Step 9: Once approved, a certification letter and MBE certificate is mailed to you within 5 business days.